Friday 12 August 2016

Brisky doesn't ask

We were having a lovely time fishing, cruising, eating, and sightseeing on our beautiful BC coast. Brisky, however, was looking a bit sad. I asked him if he was okay and he said just shrugged his shoulders. "What's wrong?", I asked. 
"Nothing" he said, "Except, I was just wondering how come Uncle Andy won't let me drive the boat". 
"Did you ask him, Brisky?"
"No" Brisky answered, "I just thought he would let me drive, that's all". 
"Well", I said, "How is Uncle Andy supposed to know if you don't ask him?" 
"Can you ask him for me, Grandpa?"
"I could", I answered, "But I think you're old enough to ask him yourself". "If you don't ask him, you'll never know whether he'll let you or not". "However, you need to know that driving a boat is a big responsibility. You have to have good eyes and watch out for floating logs that could damage the boat.  If you see someghing dangerous, you need to quickly steer the boat away from it. Can you do that?"
"Yes, I certainly can", Brisky answered "Ans I have Trooper and his excellent eyes to help me watch out for the logs". 

"Okay then", I said, "As soon as you feel ready, you ask Uncle Andy, okay?"

"Okay" Brisky said. 
But he didn't ask him. 
Maybe he was afraid, or maybe he just didn't feel ready yet. Another day went by and now we were back on the shore and the boat was taken out of the water and was back on the trailer. No more chances to drive the boat anymore, at least not on this trip.  Poor Brisky!  


 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment